Sunday, March 02, 2008

Invincibility

Sometimes in life I have these moments where I feel like I can do anything. It's sort of a euphoric feeling - like I'm on top of the world. Even more than a feeling like the world is out there and I can live in it and do as I please, it's as if I'm one with the energy of the universe and I'm about to accomplish more than my mind can conceive. It's an amazing reflection on the power within.

Everyday isn't like that. I'm working slowly to get back in shape and it isn't always easy with an infant and my family schedule. But it isn't ever easy for anyone, really. It's a lot of where you set your goals and how hard you work to achieve them. And never making excuses. Just accepting life and moving forward with it. Kind of exciting really. Lately I've been thinking about two profound questions. At the beginning of the day - What am I going to get to do today? And at the end of the day - What did I celebrate today? It's all just a little bit of livin'.

The Iditarod started yesterday - and damn if it ain't just a little bit o' that livin'. I think it's the most fascinating study of the human experience that I've ever seen. Check it out.

13 comments:

Triseverance said...

Welcome back, I hope you find that little bit of livin you are looking for in everyday life. :)

Anne said...

When I lived in Alaska, the Iditarod was like our Super Bowl. There was little talk of anything else while it took place. What I love best is that it's both [wo]man and dog working together against extreme conditions. Now that's teamwork.

E said...

sleeping through the night eh? good thing the iditarod site tracks racers 24x7. :-)

Sarah said...

I love that idea...to be mindful of every day and celebrate living. I'm stealing that! : ) I hope you discover many celebrations today. : )

IHateToast said...

i got a t-shirt at the cols mary expo that read "the best long distance runners run naked, sleep in the snow, and eat raw meat." iditarod

i am glad that marathoners don't lick me after a race. also glad they don't sniff bums. that stuff is only cute with fluffy tocks and 4 legs. oh, i'm sure your manboy can pull it off.

Legs and Wings said...

Good to see you back and to hear you are getting back into shape. There's lots of livin' out there!

Rich said...

10+ hours in that weather is amazing.

Unknown said...

great questions! my wife and I do "Highs & Lows" every day. We just talk about the high point and low point of each day.

Kurt said...

Beautiful post as always. So good to have you back and writing again.

Kenaia said...

I didn't know you could be so philosophical. :)

Danielle said...

Hey, glad to see you posting again, obviously I was a bit off on getting read again. Read the last one and glad to see you're running too!!

As for the Iditarod...my cousin and his wife ran it. It was his second time, her first. He got the record for fastest with an all Siberian team and they were also the team that had the tragedy of one of their dogs being killed by a snowmobile.

Sarah Elaine said...

Celebrating something each day sounds like a good way to live. :-)

Robin said...

Welcome back, good to see you back on your running and blogging feet. I loved your post today, mindfulness is where it's all at, especially when you've got kids and the next moment might be total chaos!