Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Burnout?

A funny thing happened yesterday. There was a comment on my post that suggested I had reached burnout. And I got mad. (no offense to Anne's comment - it was a good thing, and exactly what I needed) I had to ask myself, "Am I burnt out?" and "why?" Part of it is sick kids - I love having them home, but when they were all home sick it was a real drag, and I lacked room to breathe. But beyond that . . .

I got mad and went for a run. It was a great run in the dark in absolutely pouring rain. (It''s November in Seattle, where - as of yesterday - we just hit the record of the highest rainfall on record for a single month - and there are still 9 days left in the month.) It's always dark and always wet, but it was kinda cool last night 'cause I couldn't see the puddles, which made for a nice surprise quite frequently. And when I stopped for a drink of water from the fountain I didn't have to wipe my face off because I was already drenched and dripping.

While I was out there stewing about why I'm burnt out, and what my problem is . . . I finally realized something. I'm not injured, I have available time, and I love my dirty running shoes and grubby clothes to workout in. Instead of wondering what my problem is, and how do I fix it, I decided to consider what my strengths are and how I'm going to embrace them.

I really thought about all of the comments on my post yesterday - people are amazing when they share their thoughts. Thanks.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Granted, I only know you from your blog but you strike me as a person who achieves a lot, as a rule. I understand being this person, believe me. Sometimes, though, we have to remember to give ourselves a break.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

When your'e smiling the whole world smiles with you.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

oh, awesome. way to go on focusing on the positives!

Robb said...

I think it was wise to go for a run. It helps to wash out the bad stuff and help with perspective. Enjoy your day at the beach.

Just12Finish said...

I think it's healthy to wander off the main road once in a while. In my work life, I'm reminded of two pieces of advice I've received and given:

1. If you're getting everything done, you're not aiming high enough.

2. If you're not failing at some things, you're not trying hard enough.

I'd give the side streets a chance here and there.

IHateToast said...

over here they call it the silly season. naturally they don't have a thanksgiving to kick it off, but it is a silly season. not because it's all fun. by now the colds are kicking in. kids (lower school to uni) are antsy about a break. often by now most leaves have turned and fallen leaving the view a bit grayer.
so of course it's easier to get down and gloomy, BUT... you have to do what you did. whatever it is one does to get a release, do it (running, cycling, sculpting, &c.) and then your mind gets cleared and the positives just keep jumping out at you.

but man... fall can get you...

Anonymous said...

Will the rain ever stop in the Pacific Northwest this year? It's only November and I'm already going crazy with this rain.